Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why Adoption?

Our heart for adoption began to grow as we began going on international mission trips several years ago. When we got married, I think we knew that one day adoption would be a possibility for us after we had our biological children. In 2008, our heart for adoption was renewed and grew even bigger as we traveled to China for another mission trip. We were able to visit a foster home for orphaned children with special needs and I helped out with some therapy for a few hours. I knew after this brief visit that I would be adopting. When we returned home from that trip we began sponsoring a little girl that we met while we were there. Over the past year and a half my love has grown for her and for the work that this foster home does for orphans, but since we do not yet qualify to adopt from China, knew that it would be a long wait for her specifically. In 2009 we were blessed with our first child, but in the past few months as people have begun to ask us about the timing of our next child, I just could not get adoption or Addison out of my mind and off my heart. I was beginning to feel that before we had more biological children, adoption was the direction we needed to go.


In May our church began an adoption ministry and held its first meeting. We went to see what it was about. I left even more ready to adopt, but didn’t want to lose this little girl we had grown to love. I began to wonder if God was leading us to adopt from another country first and then go back to China later. Adam went to the meeting as well, but thinking that the info we gathered would be for several years down the road. Although, when he left, he was a little more ready and was ok with me beginning some research. As I began looking at other countries that we might qualify for, I never had a peace about moving forward. I just couldn’t leave our little girl without a family and adopt someone else. On May 21, our anniversary, we found out that Addison, who we adored so much, was matched with a family. I was devastated, but Adam gently reminded me that God had someone else in mind for our family. Someone even better for us. The next day, I woke up with a complete peace about moving forward with someone else and a different country. I then realized that Addison was holding me back and to get me to move forward, she had to be moved out of the equation. Funny how God often uses difficult circumstances to give you the push you need to do what you know is the right thing. We are very excited for Addison (now Emma) who will be joining her forever family in a few weeks. She is going to a wonderful family who is crazy about her and we are now on a journey that will change our family in a very big and exciting way.


To be continued. . . (of course there's more)

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear more!!!!!!! Just hearing how GOD is already working with little Addison having a family to love............ AMAZING! GOD is so big and can't wait to hear what other doors may be open or closed on this journey. Continuing to pray for you guys!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete