Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Little Procedure

Neylan had a little boy procedure this morning. We got to the hospital bright and early, got all the paperwork done, got dressed in his fun gown, and were ready to go. (He has never taken a pacifier until yesterday when the teething was so bad I popped it in just to try- and he didn't let go. So, I brought it with us today for some added comfort-maybe)


Right before heading back, he discovered a little parking lot full of fun cars. He picked his out, got in and drove off to the OR. Didn't even want to give me a hug or a wave. So glad he went this way and not screaming and crying with strange nurses.


His procedure went well, but the recovery. Oh, the recovery! AWFUL!!!! Not sure if he was just having a hard time waking up, in a lot of pain, mad becuase he had an IV in, an arm board on, leads on his chest, etc, etc, or just plain uncomfortable. Bottom line- he couldn't calm down. I couldn't calm him down. He refused to eat or drink anything, even though he hadn't had anything since last night. He didn't want to play with my phone. He didn't want to be held. He didn't want to lay in bed. So, the last resort it was- more meds through the IV to bring instant comfort and calming. It wasn't quite instantaneous, but he did calm after the nurses left and we went to another room where a small tv was playing cartoons. At one point after all the tubes and restrictions were removed, the nurse tried to hand him to me. He wouldn't turn towards me, look at me, and acted like he wanted nothing to do with me. A bit of panic ran through me that we had just lost the last 4 months of hard attachment work. Once he calmed down some, I was able to get him dressed, gave him his snack cup and get him to the car. He ate all the way home and appeared relieved once we walked in the door. He played for a little while, ate a big lunch, took a 3 hour nap, played some more, and went to sleep easily tonight. So, for now all seems well. He is back to his mama-loving self and was more cuddly today! We'll see how tomorrow goes.

1 comment: